David Gibson, WOBO Governor, as part of the ICC Global Membership, encourages you to review the information relating to Lithium-Ion Batteries.
Thank you to everyone who joined us for our webinar, Lithium-Ion Battery Energy System Storage: Connecting Building Codes, Design, Technology, and Fire Department Response. We hope that this event brought additional clarity to the importance of enabling the use of high-capacity energy storage systems (ESS) while maintaining safe buildings and firefighter safety.
Some key takeaways from the discussion:
- Hazard Mitigation Analysis (HMA) is an evaluation of potential ESS failure modes and the safety-related consequences attributed to the failures. These failure modes include:
- Thermal runaway condition
- Failure of energy management system
- Voltage surges
- Short circuits
- Failure of smoke detection, fire extinguishing or gas detection systems
- Spill neutralization
- ESS and battery failures follow a cycle/stage where a user must either take preventative measures or focus on containment.
- Nothing can be done to stop a thermal runaway once it starts or extinguish lithium electrolyte combustion.
The following resources are now available:
- Webinar PowerPoint Slides
- ICC/IAEI Energy Systems Storage Guide
- Recordings of previous Global Membership Council webinars
We are currently compiling a Q&A document addressing the questions asked during the webinar. This document will be available within the coming week on our Global Media Center.
In case you missed it or would like to hear it again, you can access a recording of the event here: